Women and Emerging Futures

The next wave of my own evolution lies in exploring the potential of women to profoundly shape our world. Not only if women can but if women will...do what is required to make the difference. This demands redefining our notions of 'leadership' and reclaiming meaningful expression for women. To progress beyond historical notions of evolution through incremental change, we must redefine what it is to be human - and women are the key.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Standing Alone - a scarey place to be

I continue to let ideas roll around inside me. Perhaps less ‘ideas’ and much more a seemingly random stream of thoughts about what I want to create here - in this space that opens around this blog.

I am very mindful that what I flow into this Space will indeed, manifest my reality. I am also mindful that manifestation is a spiral, and at the end of its completion if what I want is ponies, I need to be mindful not to produce lizards!

I am genuinely curious about what it will take for women (to be willing) to lead! I am also mindful that in that curiosity, I do not have the answer. I’m not even sure I’m looking for an answer as much as I’m looking to discover other women who are actually awake to the potential of that question.

What does it take for women (to be willing) to lead? Do we need to explore how we define ‘lead’ and redefine it? Are the existing notions of ‘lead/leader/leadership’ anything that women are enthused about? Are women attracted to the experiences (and the results!) that these notions have birthed?

How do women perceive themselves as ‘leaders’? What goes on inside women when they assume the identity of ‘leader’? How much of them actually continues to be present; and how much of the truth of who they are must be pressed aside in order for them to ‘lead’?

Men and women are different biologically. How different are men and women in their expressions of leadership? And in this question, I am not thinking about behaviours; I’m thinking about intentions and results. How are the intentions different for women when they consider leadership?

Do women consider what they value to be worthwhile? Do they consider their intentions to be welcomed in a public forum? Or do women think one way – and live another!

Musings all – and critical nonetheless.

Take my friend, Eva Marsh . I got an email from her a couple of days ago, in which she wrote:

“Cancer patient (told he was dying last March) is comfortable and holding his own, and NOT progressing (body doesn't stand still, so if he's not progressing ...) docs amazed ...

After 3 sessions since June, woman in wheelchair 10 years, now able to stand and move to toilet, and back to chair .. arms strong enough to wheel herself around house ... hands better coordinated ... feeds self ... can grab, lift items ...
and SHE KNOWS she is in recovery and will be mobile. “

To me, this is leadership! Here is a woman who is living proof of a very different way to come face-to-face with her diagnosis and experience of MS. Her approach is hugely confrontational with ‘traditional’ medical-model approaches to treating MS. Her perspective is neither welcomed by nor encouraged by the existing ‘powers that be’ in the allopathic medical system. And yet, despite it all (and some of these are pretty potent forces!), Eva stays true to herself.

From where I stand, Eva trusts the truth of her own experience. She is willing to stand (very much) alone – AND be public about it! Not only does her experience matter, it guides her choices. And in addition to her own self-recovery, she is willing to share that experience with others, in very public ways. In the world through which Eva moves, this can often be met with ridicule and rejection – and yet, she persists.

To me, THIS is leadership! To me, Eva is a living example of what I refer to in the Declaration of Evolution by Intention….of redefining our humanity and recognizing and reclaiming the much greater truth of our own potential.

What does it take for Eva to be both willing and able to ENGAGE her world so differently? And what might happen in our world if more of us could/would?

I often find myself wondering: just today, how many women have silenced themselves yet one more time?

Breathing is good…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home