Women and Emerging Futures

The next wave of my own evolution lies in exploring the potential of women to profoundly shape our world. Not only if women can but if women will...do what is required to make the difference. This demands redefining our notions of 'leadership' and reclaiming meaningful expression for women. To progress beyond historical notions of evolution through incremental change, we must redefine what it is to be human - and women are the key.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Women Awakening: How can we tell?

Yesterday, I spent much of my day with a small group of women who are determined to live their own lives – fully and now!

This second offering of the new half-day event that I’ve called ‘Women Awakening’ has already morphed into something very different from the December event; and from yesterday, I can feel the shifts already in flow for the next one. It is indeed, a living thing.

It’s a simple question: am I awake or am I asleep? And yet, how often do we even bother to wonder? Unless I’m willing to check in from time-to-time, I may completely miss a decade of my life in the mindless sleepwalk of habituation.

Am I awake or am I asleep? Am I choosing or just reacting? Do I pause before I do/don’t do or do I just trundle along? And when was the last time I even noticed?

December’s half-day had a PowerPoint presentation at its core. As interesting as it was, and as important as the content/material might be, it left me (and how I feel about it is important for me and my own evolution) feeling empty in some way. Great women. Great conversations – and still, something missing.

Yesterday, the PowerPoint presentation was gone. It’s not who I am – nor does it create what is meaningful to me. It has proven to be an interesting metaphor. How can I use a PowerPoint presentation (which draws their attention to something outside of themselves) to encourage people to go inside themselves? Yesterday’s conversation led to looking inside, given that there was just us, in conversation with each other.

As I read Lori’s blog today, the thought that comes to me is yet again that of ‘How willing am I to ask myself about awake/asleep? How awake am I to the truth of who I am…whether anyone else sees what I see, or not? How willing am I to believe in myself when others may not? And how willing am I to have it not matter whether anyone else does or doesn’t….believe in me? When it no longer matters, the ‘click’ inside happens and life changes profoundly. The freedom to just BE and ENGAGE fills all the little places and spaces where before, the need for permission had its roots. Without those roots, ‘permission’ has no strength in my life.

As much as I was unsure about continuing with the Women Awakening experience, I am clear that the next one will only gain strength in its expression to discover: am I awake or am I asleep?

I matter… and you matter….but only when and because we say so.

Breathing is good…..

1 Comments:

At 1/28/2007 08:04:00 p.m., Blogger Lori Walton said...

It's been almost a year now since I have been introduced to the WEL-Systems world view and have engaged in living it. I dove in head first and swam happily along.

Every now and again these "sandbars" from my past come to try to stop my progress.

I can choose to let them stop me.

I can choose to stop and notice them.

And I now I know I can also choose to push myself off of them to propel me faster to my destination.

I'm pushing off now... I am my signal # 1 and all of it out there is me.

I will breathe through it and claim it as my own... and no longer give it away to others to hold over me.

Life is damn good... and damn it I know I matter... and what you think of me isn't any of my business. (so easy in concept... letting go was more of a challenge)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home