Women and Emerging Futures

The next wave of my own evolution lies in exploring the potential of women to profoundly shape our world. Not only if women can but if women will...do what is required to make the difference. This demands redefining our notions of 'leadership' and reclaiming meaningful expression for women. To progress beyond historical notions of evolution through incremental change, we must redefine what it is to be human - and women are the key.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Engaging...NOW!

I am aware that I’m different.

I don’t sit around and think about things a lot. When something feels right to me and for me, I engage.

When I have a conversation with someone and through that conversation things call to me, I hang up and engage. It may mean that I make another call, or send an email to connect a couple of people, but whatever it is, I do it NOW. Once the connection is made, I let go. It will go wherever it is meaningful for it to go.

I think back to how I used to live, oh-so-long-ago. I would have a thought. Then, I would have a conversation with myself about that thought, exploring its merits to be revealed to another. Then, I would have conversations with others about my thought, exploring whether or not that thought was a good/meaningful/relevant/important thought, and thought to be so by others. Once it was established with someone else (external reference) that it was indeed, an intelligent thought, I would then give great consideration to how I would proceed in sharing that thought with others. Never mind taking action! I was still far from being able to do that!

And, strangely enough, what I would often discover is that by the time I was actually ready to engage that thought, it was no longer relevant. Life had passed me by.

I recall, years ago, facilitating an in-house corporate group of about 25 managers. During the course of the four-day process, one woman spoke of how she was never permitted to speak at their meetings, and that she felt no one really cared what her ideas were. We spent some time exploring that, with this woman finally realizing that she was doing what I had so often done. Rather than risk feeling embarrassed, or moving forward while feeling unsure, she would take such precautions to be sure that her idea was a good one. She would run through, in her head, a conversation with each of the others at the table, anticipating how they would respond and what they would say, and would adjust her thought/idea accordingly. By the time this process was complete, the conversation had moved on; or worse, when she did actually open her mouth and speak, her initial thought/idea had been edited into a pale version of anything meaningful. The roar of who she was had become a squeak.

No more! What are we waiting for????

Since January 2006, I have felt this great acceleration and the need/desire to move forward. I am unwilling to be cautious or replay my own thoughts 30 times before sharing them with another. It is not about running out of time, it is about recognizing that I am manifesting, from one second to the next – and I am no longer willing to NOT manifest what I want! That means that when that thought/idea/notion moves, I engage! In that nano-second of engaging, manifestation occurs.

I don’t always know exactly what it is that will result. (But then, that’s what an Emerging Future™ is all about.) But I do know this: if I don’t’ engage, I’ll get more of what I’ve already got. And I’ve already got that! J

When I do engage, I know that life moves. The Life Force that I am, moves. When my LifeForce moves and touches yours, yours moves too. It is what Life is designed to do.

“Be bold!” That’s what I tell myself, from one breath to the next. “Live fully!” That’s what I know is the outcome when I do. “Don’t edit – engage!” And when I do, my life explodes with potential and possibility and is full of wonderful surprises.

Sometimes, my doing so startles others. It would seem that my actions defy convention on how it is supposed to be. Oh well…so be it!

Yes, there are times when others might have their opinions about that. Might frown upon moving so quickly, holding my actions as unconsidered or impulsive. And to that, I say “Absolutely!” And I would not have it any other way. My life is ALIVE!

Breathing is good…..

2 Comments:

At 5/08/2007 04:57:00 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I smiled as I read this blog. I smile because I understand what you mean and I am moving in this very manner. I often have people say, "what if someone reads your blogs and don't agree with them"? The answer I give them is, Oh well.
I do do things and have people question me but it's not stopping me and I can't imagine that it will any longer. Playing my great thoughts over and over in my head is something that I was great at...but no longer am and am not willing to waste my time.
Life is good. In January 2006 we must have picked up sped up together cause it's doesn't look like I'm slowing down.
Life is good.
Amy

 
At 5/11/2007 11:48:00 a.m., Blogger Anne T.-Bérubé, PhD said...

It feels like this blog entry was written for me. For some reason, I had a hard time feeling what it meant for me in my life to engage. I do a lot of thinking and writing, which is a form of engaging but lately, I have long for a connection with people, working together and I could not see how I could engage differently in order to make things happen. Your words that said 'just do it when it comes up for you' will help me because it's not that I don't have ideas on how to, it's the process of diminishing them with over thinking and asking other's advice that kills them. It really makes them disappears and then life passes me by. By taking more risks with my interactions with people by simply showing up, like I did last weekend, will probably help me manifest what I so strongly desire for our world.

Thanks Louise

 

Post a Comment

<< Home