Women and Emerging Futures

The next wave of my own evolution lies in exploring the potential of women to profoundly shape our world. Not only if women can but if women will...do what is required to make the difference. This demands redefining our notions of 'leadership' and reclaiming meaningful expression for women. To progress beyond historical notions of evolution through incremental change, we must redefine what it is to be human - and women are the key.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Turtle is back!

Years ago, on my second trip to Kona, Hawaii, I was drawn to a ring. A silver ‘shield’ that covers the finger from knuckle to knuckle, it carries a carved silver turtle on its back and two sea shells, with an amethyst nestled between the sea shells. I wore it constantly for many years, such that the band took the shape of my finger; never taking it off except to clean it and even then, for only very brief periods of time. And then one day, I could no longer find it.

I searched everywhere I could think of for that ring! Every box, drawer, nook and cranny; every purse and suitcase; home, office, floor of the car…and no ring to be found. I learned to not think about it (much!), trusting that it was still on my holodeck somewhere and in my universe and that when the time was ‘right’ (whatever that meant) it would come back into my life.

And it’s back! Turns out it was indeed sitting in a bag…in a box…in a bigger box….in a drawer that I had long ceased to think of as my own. Hmmmm….I wonder what those are all metaphors for….

The moment I found it, it went back on to my finger. Ever since, things have been moving at mach speed. Ideas coming fast and furious. Events unfolding effortlessly and with grace. Others coming into my life in ways that invite huge growth on my part and, quite likely, theirs too. Although I’ve been told (likely by the woman who sold me the ring!) that turtles are symbols of prosperity and abundance, I took a moment to revisit what is said about turtles.

The turtle is a creature of two elements, Earth and water. The people of the Turtle Clan share an affinity with both. They enjoy helping things grow, both plants and people, yet require freedom to do their own things, as the turtle has its freedom in the water. “

That had a resonance and somehow, felt familiar. Funny part is, I’ve never been drawn to Earth and Water, and have long felt at home with Fire and Air. What occurs to me is that Fire and Air, without Water and Earth, are an incomplete expression of the potential of Ether or I’o in my world. I’ll have to think more about that one.

I moved to another web page to look specifically for a Hawaiian perspective.

“Honu means turtle in Hawaiian. The honu is considered a symbol of the island (the word for land is 'Aina honua). The Sea Turtle Is A Sacred Spiritual Guide Known As An Aumakua. Honu Is The Symbol Of Peace, Good Luck And Long Life.”

All of that feels ‘right’ for me, too. Something has changed since I rediscovered my turtle and have melded myself with it. It is not by accident that the ring re-surfaced shortly after my explorations of Hawaii, its history and its people had been rekindled. I know that the months between now and April when I am at the Mauna Lani for the Emerging Futures: Huna experience, will deepen, widen and expand in ways that will further stretch who I might become.

Soon, I will turn much of my attention to completing the new Huna book. I know that it will now be different. How do I know that? The turtle is back.

Breathing is good…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home